Monday, November 1, 2010

Zoe Beloff Questions/Response

In your project "Where Where There There Where," do you the locations of your panoramas have some sort of significance to you specifically? Or are they just meant to represent what was and is no longer?
What is the significance of the cartoon character overlays on your videos?

I find the interactive videos to be the most fascinating.  The possibilities are endless, and the ticking represents time moving, yet one can contradict time and move as they like.  How did you come to the conclusion of representing time in such a way?

RESPONSE

I left Zoe Beloff’s lecture, confused, convinced, ecstatic, and mind blown.  I was excited to hear her speak before the lecture after viewing her website, yet what was spoken of is not what I researched, but I could still relate her past projects to her current work.  She deals with the unconscious mind, something that not many people can be in tune with.  Maybe I will begin to document my dreams and create some sort of alter ego for myself.  Her words were incredibly convincing with an obvious passion behind them.  She spoke of several ideas that I had recently researched myself, such as Walter Benjamin’s writings, Sigmund Freud’s id, ego, and superego, and an obvious interest in the past.  I found her work to be very intriguing, as she had found a way, or many ways, to portray her concepts into visual form, and I am currently struggling with how to do that myself.  I was a bit confused mid lecture of why we were getting a detailed description of this past society, but afterwards, we realized that all of that was her vision.  I am amazed that I was so convinced that everything was real, just to learn that it was her imagination and interest at its best.  She attempts to “create a dialogue with the past,” which is also somewhat of what I am trying to do.  After that statement, I was sucked in.  I was interested and wanted to hear more.  I don’t necessarily know the exact answers to my questions, but I do now understand how her mediums come to be.  She picks an idea, and lets it involve into a medium. She is even a medium in herself.  This blows my mind! She is a powerful woman, and an even more extravagant artist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment